Chess Pie is a favorite in Tennessee, and it dates back to a time when people used basic pantry staples to create their favorite pies and desserts. Notice that the thickener in this recipe is yellow cornmeal. Our Old Mill Yellow Cornmeal works not only in breads but also in desserts like Chess Pie.Print
Tennessee Chess Pie
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Pies and Cobblers
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon The Old Mill Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat until creamy. Add the eggs, cornmeal, salt, and buttermilk and stir to combine well. Pour the batter into the pie crust, and place in the oven.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let rest 30 minutes, then slice and serve.