Two Southern classics come together in one savory, rich-tasting casserole that’s guaranteed to be a hit. Prepare and serve it in one of our Pigeon River Pottery Casserole Dish and it becomes a showstopper!Print
Pimento Cheese Baked Grits
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 48 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 28 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Casseroles, Grits and Cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup The Old Mill Yellow Grits
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimentos, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 large eggs
- Chopped green onion and crumbled bacon for garnish, if desired
- Place the water and salt in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the water boils, whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the grits thicken and become tender, about 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Add the half-and-half, cayenne, cheese, pimentos, and green onions to the grits, stirring until the cheese melts. Place the eggs in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Whisk in a couple tablespoons of the grits mixture to warm up the eggs. Turn the egg mixture into the pan with the grits, and whisk until smooth. Turn the grits into the prepared pan, and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake until the grits are cooked through and golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and garnish with the green onion and bacon, if desired.