Bursting with whole grains, nuts, and the natural sweetness of carrots, these muffins are a nutrient-rich alternative to sugary pastries — great to have on hand for those mornings when you’re too rushed for a leisurely breakfast, or in need of a mid-afternoon energy boost.Print
Morning Glory Muffins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Total Time: 42 mins
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- 1/2 cup raisins, softened in hot water
- 2 cups The Old Mill Whole Wheat flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Set aside a muffin pan with 12 wells. Soak the raisins in 1/2 cup hot water to cover and set aside.
- Place the flour, brown sugar, soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the carrots, apple, coconut, and pecans, and stir to combine. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, oil, orange juice, and vanilla. Stir the ingredients together until just combined.
- Spray the muffin pan with vegetable oil spray. Scoop batter into the pan, filling each well nearly to the top. The batter will fill about 12 to 14 wells. Place the pan in the oven, and bake until the muffins brown and are just firm on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest in the pan 2 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and transfer to a rack to cool completely.