Few recipes, if any, are more Southern than cornbread. While there is much debate about how to make it, we like this version with the added smoky flavor of bacon. Made
with only a touch of flour, it allows the flavor of the cornmeal to really shine. Our bacon salt not only has the sweet and smoky flavors of bacon, it is made with real bacon bits!
Make this treat as a side dish to round out your supper table, or as a hearty breakfast served with a little butter or honey.Print
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cook bacon in a 10” cast iron skillet until crisp. Remove bacon leaving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside. Or use our Pigeon River Pottery Bacon Cooker and add to a skillet to control the amount of drippings you use.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and bacon salt.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Pour batter into cast iron skillet with hot bacon drippings. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.