Topped with a warm compote of blueberries and walnuts, these buttery, lightly sweetened grits are a great way to shake up your breakfast routine. You won’t even miss the bacon!Print
Sweet Breakfast Grits with Brown Sugar & Blueberries
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup The Old Mill White Grits
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Place the milk and water in a large saucepan with salt and sugar. Heat over medium-high until it comes to a boil. Whisk in the grits, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir and simmer until the grits are thickened and tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, and whisk in 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Place the remaining butter in a skillet over low heat to melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar, honey, blueberries, lemon juice, and cinnamon, and cook until the sugar melts and the berries are warmed, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the grits into bowls, and top with the warm blueberry mixture and toasted walnuts.