If ever there were a case for keeping things simple, this is it! All you need for the best cornbread you have ever tasted is our Self-Rising White Corn Meal, an egg, some buttermilk, a little oil, and a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Serve warm with chili, beans, a plate-full of garden vegetables or pretty much anything else, and save some for making cornbread dressing.Print
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 27 mins
- Total Time: 32 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Biscuits & Breads, Grits and Cornmeal
- 2 cups The Old Mill Self-Rising White Corn Meal
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons for the skillet
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the corn meal in a large bowl, and stir in the egg, buttermilk, and 1/4 cup oil until just combined.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, pour the batter into the skillet, and place the pan in the oven. Bake until the top is firm to the touch and the sides are well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn out onto a board and slice into wedges. Serve warm.
- For a 12-inch skillet – bake 20 to 25 minutes