This recipe can easily be scaled down for one or two servings. It is savory, warm, and hearty. Our tomato relish is the perfect accompaniment to cheesy, creamy grits.
Loading collections ⌛️ ...
Morning Grits Bowl with Bacon Tomato Gravy
- Prep Time: 30
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup The Old Mill Grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 jar (16 oz) The Old Mill Red Ripe Tomato Relish
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon The Old Mill Ground Roasted Veggie Seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Heat 4 cups water and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in grits and cook, stirring often, until grits are done, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, ½ cup milk, and cheese. Cover.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crack eggs into skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook 1-2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove eggs from skillet.
- Add tomato relish, cooked bacon, hot sauce, heavy cream, and seasoning to skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir grits, adding a little more milk if necessary to thin them out a bit. Divide grits evenly among 4 bowls. Top each with an egg and spoon the tomato gravy over the top. Sprinkle with green onions.