Place leftover cornbread in the freezer for quick homemade croutons when unexpected company shows up. The leftover ranch will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week. This is a great base salad that can be customized with any fresh vegetables you have on hand.
Mixed Greens Salad with Cornbread Croutons and Horseradish Bacon Ranch
- Prep Time: 50
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for greasing the pan
- 2 cups The Old Mill Yellow Self-Rising Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon The Old Mill Bacon Salt
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for tossing the croutons
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons The Old Mill Horseradish Bacon Dip Mix
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place the skillet in the oven or on top of the stove to heat.
- For the batter, place the cornmeal in a large bowl, and stir in the bacon salt, buttermilk and vegetable oil until smooth. Pour the batter into the hot skillet, and place the skillet in the oven. Bake until it is lightly browned, about 16 to 20 minutes. Run a knife around the skillet and turn the cornbread out onto a rack to cool completely. Cut the cornbread into 1-inch squares.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees. Place 4 cups cornbread squares in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Turn onto a baking sheet and spread them out in one layer.
- Place the pan in the oven, and bake the croutons until they are lightly browned, stirring once or twice during cooking, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and let the croutons cool.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, buttermilk, pinch of black pepper, and horseradish bacon dip mix.
- Divide greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons among plates or place in salad bowl. Drizzle with ranch and serve extra on the side.