Honoring the colors and flavor of Mardi Gras, this chicken & grits bring some heat with creole seasoning, while the colors of gold, purple, and green make it a perfect festive dish.Print
Mardi Gras Shredded BBQ Chicken & Grits
- 1 – 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Old Mill Yellow Grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Purple Onion, diced
- Minced fresh parsley
- Purple Slaw (see recipe below)
- Place chicken breasts in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the chicken broth, barbecue sauce, molasses, and creole seasoning; pour over chicken. Bring to aboil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Shred meat with 2 forks and return to the skillet.
- Or, cook chicken in a crock pot on high for 4 hours with bbq mixture and shred. Reheat or keep warm to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining 2 cups broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits, whisking to reduce lumps. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Divide grits among 6 serving bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Serve with sour cream, purple onions and parsley, and a side of purple slaw.
- 1 large head Purple or Red Cabbage
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup diced purple onion
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- Shred cabbage into a large bowl. Combine the sugar, mayonnaise, and vinegar and pour over the cabbage. Stir to coat the cabbage well. Salt and pepper to taste. Best if it sits several hours or overnight.