If you’ve signed up to bring salad to the July Fourth potluck – or you just need a great last-minute summer salad recipe – here’s a bright and festive strawberry salad that’s ready in no time.
The Easiest Recipe for a Last-Minute Summer Salad
Building a perfect salad isn’t difficult, but you do need the right balance of ingredients.
Begin with something green – spring greens, spinach, romaine, arugula or chopped iceberg. Snip a few fresh herbs like parsley or chives from your garden and add those, too. Then add fresh fruit. Strawberries are perfect for that red, white, and blue patriotic look, and you could add blackberries and blueberries, as well.
At The Old Mill we like to take advantage of summer berries, adding them to salads, jams, and even our freshly made ice cream.
Then, add something crunchy to the salad, such as toasted almonds or pecans or even cornbread croutons.
Next, add something tangy like crumbled feta or blue cheese crumbles.
And lastly, dress the salad to suit the season, which means lightly. Begin with a nice extra virgin olive oil and add a splash of raspberry or balsamic vinegar. Whisk in chopped fresh herbs, a little garlic, a pinch of mustard, a drizzle of honey, you get the idea.
Or, use the easy Sesame Vinaigrette recipe below.
Serve your salad with our sourdough bread dipped in Basil Genovese Infused Olive Oil, and you’ve got the perfect hot-weather meal. Summer salads are bright, fresh, and best of all, easy to throw together at the last minute!
Strawberry Field Salad
- Prep Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Total Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salads and Dressings
Strawberry Field Salad
- 1 bag (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens, or greens of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups halved and quartered fresh strawberries (about 1 pint)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans, almonds or walnuts
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Place the salad greens in a serving bowl and top with strawberries. Sprinkle on the nuts and cheese. Set aside.
- Make the Sesame Vinaigrette by pouring the Italian dressing in a small bowl and whisk in the honey, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, toss to coat the ingredients well, and serve.