You haven’t tasted grits until you have tasted our stone-ground white or yellow grits, just like we serve in The Old Mill Restaurant every morning. With stone-ground grits you really taste the corn, and we believe they are a unique taste of the Smoky Mountains.
How to Cook Stone-Ground Grits
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: From our Old Mill Restaurant, Breakfast & Brunch, Grits & Grains
- Place the water and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When boiling, stir in grits.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Some people like to cook their stone-ground grits less time for more texture – 5 to 6 minutes – and others like a longer, slow cook time of 20 minutes. Suit yourself.)
- Season with salt, pepper, and butter.
- For 2 servings: Use 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup grits.
- For 8 servings: Use 4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup grits.
- For 24 servings: Use 3 quarts water, 1 tablespoon salt, and 3 cups grits.