Cheese grits are one of the easiest and most versatile of side dishes. They go with pork chops, shrimp, fried chicken, and even just a few slices of ripe tomato. Begin with our white or yellow stone-ground grits. The better the cheese, the better the cheese grits.Print
Easy Cheese Grits
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides, Grits & Grains
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Dash black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup The Old Mill White Grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Minced green onion, for garnish, if desired
- Place the water and milk in a medium saucepan. Add the salt, garlic, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and when boiling, whisk in the grits.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover the saucepan. Let cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Uncover the pan, and stir in the butter and cheese until the butter melts.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped green onions, if desired.