This creative use of The Old Mill stone-ground grits can be served as a side dish or for breakfast. It speaks of the fall season with the addition of pumpkin purée and spices.Print
Danielle’s Pumpkin Spice Grits
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 26 mins
- Total Time: 41 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides, Breakfast & Brunch, Grits and Cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons lightly salted butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups whole or 2 percent milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup The Old Mill White or Yellow Grits
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons The Old Mill Barrel Aged Bourbon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted pecans, for garnish
- Place the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat to melt. Stir until the butter has turned lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let the butter burn. Add the water, milk, and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits, and stir constantly until the grits begin to absorb the liquid, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, and let simmer, covered, until the grits are thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Fold in the pumpkin purée, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Serve warm with more maple syrup and toasted pecans on top.