Country fried steak qualifies as our kind of comfort food, especially when made with our savory Old Mill Fried Chicken Breading. Some also call it chicken fried steak. No matter what you call it, its crispy coating holds its own even when smothered in creamy peppered gravy, made from our mix. Round out the plate with some homemade mashed potatoes and slow cooked green beans and you will be in comfort food heaven.Print
Country Fried Steak
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 33 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes, From our Old Mill Restaurant
- 1 1/2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups The Old Mill Fried Chicken Breading
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Slice the beef, with the grain, into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Season each slice on both sides lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place The Old Mill Fried Chicken Breading in a shallow dish. Place eggs in another shallow dish. Have a large sheet of wax paper and a meat tenderizing mallet ready.
- Working with one at a time, dredge meat slices on both sides in breading and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Tenderize the meat with a meat mallet until slices are 1/4-inch thick. Dredge again in breading, dip in egg and allow excess to drip back into dish; dredge again in breading. Place on a plate and let sit 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
- Cover the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet with vegetable oil; heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the meat, in batches, without overcrowding the pan. Cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and serve with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.
Top this dish with The Old Mill Peppered Gravy made from our mix.