Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? This version is tender and easy to prepare (no mixer required). Our rich, creamy fudge is used here for a super simple icing. The icing will firm up as it sits, and will return back to fudge overnight, so its best to ice the cake just before serving time.Print
Chocolate Cake with Melted Fudge Icing
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 9 slices 1x
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ cups The Old Mill White Unbleached Plain Flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup hot, strong brewed The Old Mill Smoky Mountain Mist coffee
- 1 lb. The Old Mill Chocolate Fudge, chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
2. Whisk together brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, whisking to combine. Gradually whisk in hot coffee.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
4. To make frosting, combine fudge, cream, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Immediately pour over cake. Let stand 15 minutes before serving to allow the icing to set.